I’ve been quite taken with quinoa for the longest time. What first drew me to it was its protein content. As someone who doesn’t eat meat and works out regularly, choosing high protein foods has been always a must.
In comes Quinoa! A true superfood that deserves so much praise. With 8 grams of protein per cup plus all 9 essential aminoacids , it’s a staple at our home and I cook with it a couple of times a week. Wether is quinoa salads, stuffed buttercup squash, or mixing it with almond milk, nuts and bananas for a winter porridge. A week doesn’t go by without including it in our meals. Last week I made a vegan chili for Isabella, and along with lentils, chickpeas, black beans and sweet potato, I added quinoa to it and a new recipe was born. She was so happy with it and nothing gives me more joy than to see both of my babes enjoying the meals I make them at home. For me, its always been about the way food brings families together and how a dish can make memories and traditions.
As we are in the last stretch of summer, I wanted to make one last burger recipe using ingredients that you could easily have already in your pantry and fridge. For these quinoa burgers, I’ve included sweet potato, spinach and feta in the recipe, plus a bit of oatmeal as well for binding. You could easily make them vegan by omitting the egg and the feta, which would still taste delicious with the rest of the ingredients. For this recipe, I’ve used chipotle powder and parsley but you could you use your favourite herbs and spices. Cumin on these burgers would be amazing!!
I hope you are enjoying the rest of the summer and can’t believe than in less than 2 months we will be bringing out our jackets and scarves. For now, gather the people you love, make them these quinoa burgers, a white sangria to go with it and keep celebrating the gorgeous weather.
Quinoa, Spinach And Sweet Potato Burgers
- 4 D’Italiano® Brizzolio Hamburger Buns
- 2 baked sweet potatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup steamed spinach
- 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1/2 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup diced onions
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 tsp. chipotle powder
- 4 slices Havarti cheese
- 3 tomatoes
- 6 Romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 cucumber
- 1 container of PC Tzatziki
- Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Slice cucumbers and tomatoes and set aside.
3. Mash sweet potatoes and mix in the quinoa , oatmeal, 1/2 beaten egg, feta, onions, garlic, chipotle powder and spinach, adding salt & pepper to taste. Refrigerate mixture for 15 minutes.
4. Form the chilled mixture into four burger patties.
5. Add 2 tbsp. canola oil to a skillet or grill pan and heat to medium-high.
6. Add patties (2 at a time) and cook 3 minutes per side; finish baking patties in the oven for 8 minutes.
7. Once the patties are fully cooked, grill the buns and top them with tzatziki, lettuce, a quinoa patty, Havarti cheese, and cucumber.
*This post was made in collaboration with 150 buns of summer however all views, opinions and recipe development are my own.