If you been following my blog and Instagram for a while, you know that Sundays at home are made for waffles. It’s a tradition that has been going strong for years. But when we switch it up, pancakes are what we go for. Especially these luscious Lemon, Blueberry and Ricotta pancakes. I’ve made them for a while and this past weekend decided they needed to be blogged. Not only are they the lightest and fluffiest pancakes I’ve made but there are so many wonderful layers of flavours to them! Basically, you don’t want to miss these. You can totally eat them for breakfast. Or dessert. Or just because.
Let’s talk about the batter. Thicker than your usual pancake batter, the batter for these Lemon, Blueberry and Ricotta pancakes is a a bit denser, due to the nature of ricotta cheese. But don’t be concerned. Once the batter hits the pan (or griddle if you have one) they morph into the most deliciously fluffy pancakes you’ve ever had. The ricotta cheese keeps the pancakes light and delicate, while the lemon adds a zesty and refreshing twist.
Blueberries (fresh or frozen ?)
Blueberries and lemon are without a doubt one of my favourite combinations. When the two are paired together, let’s just say that delicious things happen. From scones to muffins this duo is utterly perfect together. For these pancakes I prefer to add fresh blueberries to the batter. Frozen can be used as well, just make sure you don’t thaw them before, as this will affect the colour of the batter. Unless you are into purple pancakes 🙂
This weekend if you find yourself wondering what to make for breakfast or brunch, then try these. You will love them. Your kids will love them and if you are making it for friends, know they will be coming back for more. So put your favourite playlist on, brew some coffee and say hello to thick and lemony pancakes bursting with blueberries. Best part? they are ridiculously quick and easy to make, and even more quick to disappear. If you try the recipe, let me know what you think! Leave a comment below or take a picture and tag me at #dialaskitchen on Instagram!
Lemon, Blueberry and Ricotta Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries blueberries, more for serving
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup full -fat ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Greek yogurt, berries and Maple syrup for serving
- In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt; whisk well to combine. Add the blueberries and fold into the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, add the eggs and lightly beat them with a whisk. Add in the milk, ricotta and vanilla. Beat with a whisk until well combined. Carefully fold the wet mixture into the dry ingredients, until combined. Quickly fold in the lemon juice and zest, stirring until combined, but not over mixing the batter. A few specks of flour in the batter are ok.
- Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto a buttered hot large pan or griddle. Adding just 3 at a time so that they don't stick together. Cook for about 3 minutes before flipping them over, or until small bubbles form on top. Cook on the second side until golden. About 1 -2 minutes.
- Repeat with the rest of the pancake batter. Enjoy topped with maple syrup, Greek yogurt and berries.